Free MARFY Patterns

Here are the new Free MARFY Patterns included with the 2011/2012 catalog. There is a dress, a cardigan, two skirts, and four blouses. The cardigan is loose fitting and has 3/4 sleeves with contrast bands and a flounced double collar. The dress is fitted with armscye princess seams, empire waistline, lace bodice, and ballet neckline. It is sleeveless with extended shoulders, and a gored skirt which is fitted through the hip and slightly flared to the hem which lands just below the knee. Skirt 0467 is a straight, above knee length skirt with center front seam and slit. Skirt 0460 is an A line, mid knee length skirt with a deep contrast band at the hem. Blouse 2467 is fitted with shaped dart legs extending to the high hip length hem. It has a scooped neckline with a partial double collar and buttons at the center front. The sleeves are full length, gathered, set in sleeves with a slight flare which is gathered to the cuffs. Blouse 2461 is semi-fitted. The dartless, high hip length blouse is gathered to a front yoke. It has contrast bands at the V neckline/center front opening and sleeve bands. The sleeves are 3/4 length with fullness gathered to the contrast bands. Blouse 2483 is fitted with a contrast band at the high waistline. It is high hip length with cut out shoulders and 3/4 length gathered sleeves and a gathered neckline. Because of the fitted waist, there is either a side opening or a center back opening. Blouse 2484 is dartless and semi fitted with short sleeves and a deep, flounced, buttoned, V neckline. The sleeves and the neckline are finished with contrast binding. My first response to the patterns was SNOOOOOOOZE. But after taking the time to really consider them, I think I understand why MARFY chose this bunch. These patterns are great basics with nice details. They do not have complicated lines and would not be difficult to fit. After fitting one of the free patterns, it would be easy to determine what size to order if we want something more complicated. There are offerings for both woven and knit blouses, and both a mid weight and light weight woven skirt. The cardigan would work for many different fabrics as well. And the dress is fitted which really helps when trying to figure out what typical alterations might be necessary for other fitted MARFY designs. And you can't beat the price!!! Eight free patterns! Those of us who resolved not to buy so many patterns this year, can you hear me now???? Technically, these don't count

Some Things Just Need A Little Time...

Although I wish this jacket had turned out nicer, I guess it isn't so bad afterall. I like the way the fabrics coordinate with the silk shell I made to go with it. Both items were made with redesigned BML patterns. I have a pair of pants made from the same fabric I used for the olive colored piping and I am in the process of making a pair of pants from the same fabric I used for the binding, so I will have lots of options to make outfits with this jacket. I am in the process of rearranging my sewing room, and my dining room is now a disaster, but in time, it will also be better.

Bernina My Label Basic Skirt

I did a little sewing over the weekend. In an effort to keep my sewing enjoyable, I made a decision to include some simple projects in my sewing queue. I made this skirt in record time - for me anyway. I could not be happier with it! The fabric is a gorgeous raspberry wool from my stash which I have been afraid to cut until recently. With all the success I have had with Bernina My Label, I finally have the confidence to work with some of the better fabrics I have collected. The only change I made to the pattern was to lengthen the skirt an inch and a half. It is described as a 22 inch knee length basic skirt, but the finished length is not based on the model's waist to knee measurement. It is 22 inches no matter what the model measures. I also added an extra inch of wearing ease from the hip down to the hem. I used one inch side seam allowances and basted the skirt together at the drafted seamlines and the fit was perfect, but I wanted a little extra room, so I stitched the side seams a quarter inch out from the basting, tapering to nothing from the waist to the hip.
For the facing, I used a really nice knit elastic which I bought from JoAnn's a few years ago. This stuff is absolutely perfect for any fabric like medium weight wool or Sophia knit. When you see it, buy the whole roll. It is gold! It gives a nice, professional finish and looks and feels great when worn. I did not line the skirt. I finished the seam allowances with hug snug rayon using a binder attachment foot. I have to say I love this finishing technique. It doesn't add bulk and it looks pretty. For the finish on the kick pleat, I used the selvage. I just cut the pattern pieces so that the edge of the kick pleat was on the selvage. My plan is working. This skirt was easy to make. The wool fabric sews like a dream. The finishing techniques weren't complicated or difficult. And most important, the pattern really fits me! I think I will continue to include quick and easy projects in my sewing plans. Happy Sewing All!!