My Sewing Room

I cannot remember where I sewed the garment that started it all - an A-line dress to wear when I was pregnant with my daughter. It must have been on my dining room table. I can barely remember that first sewing machine. As the years have gone by, I have lived in many places and set up many sewing spaces. Since that first project, I have always set aside some square footage of my home for sewing. Over the years, I have had a sewing machine in my bedroom, in the living room, in the dining room, in the basement, in a spare bedroom, and now in a room designed (by me) especially for sewing, although technically, this is my living room. All of the funiture in the room is solely used for my sewing. I love this room. It is a little haven in the world that I do not have to share with another living soul. Don't get me wrong, I love when I have company in there, but it is still all mine! Every single other place in my life, I either have to share with somebody, or it does not belong to me, but here, I can leave my scissors lying around, or drape clothes over the chair, or leave a pile of magazines on the floor for a month, without feeling guilty because my things are in someone else's way. I don't exactly trash the place, but these pictures were taken when I first finished the room, and it has not been that tidy since! There have been a few changes since these were taken. The furniture was rearranged slightly to make room for a big, flat screen TV/monitor that my husband bought for me to use at work, before checking to see if it was allowed. Apparently, it is too much of a luxury item for me to have a huge monitor, even though the design work I do with graphics has a dynamic range which is so wide, it requires constant zooming in and out. Okay, I'll stop my rant right there...

On any given Saturday, you can usually find me in my sewing room watching Lifetime movies, or sewing DVDs, or Project Runway DVDs - you get the idea - stuff my husband isn't interested in watching, although, he does like to watch current episodes of Project Runway with me. I usually have something going on the stove or in the oven on Saturdays, and I love that I can sew, cook, and do laundry all at the same time. On week nights if I don't work crazy late, I sometimes have the energy after dinner to be in there sewing. My husband has a hobby room as well, which is equipped as an electronics lab with various meters and tools. He loves that space, as I love my sewing room. We put in long hours where we work, and it is so nice to have these rooms where we can work on projects and leave them for any length of time without having to put all of our tools away in between creative sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment