The Silk Print Knit Shell

Here is my latest Bernina My Label success! I started with the tunic pattern. I used a half front on the fold, so I cut the pattern right down the center line. First, I redrafted the neckline and armscyes. Then I drew lines for the yoke and armscye bands and cut them off the pattern on both the front and back pieces. Next, I made four slashes in the front from the yoke seam line to the bust point. I closed the bust dart and let the slashes open. Then I taped tracing paper under the pattern to fill in the slashes. Finally, I redrew the yoke seam line straightening out the jaggies and added seam allowances to the yoke and the armscye bands. There is enough ease in the tunic design not to need a zipper or button closure. I used the yoke and armscye band pattern pieces to make facings. I cut fusible knit interfacing for the yoke and armscye bands. I did not have to finish any of the seams or the hem because the knit fabric does not ravel. For the hem, I just sewed three rows of straight stitches to add weight and make it look finished.

2 comments:

  1. I am following your MyLabel adventure with interest - so few people seem to have made more than the fitting garments (or maybe they just don't blog about it!).

    Your top looks sleek and flattering. Just one question: did you do all the changes in BML or on paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I did them on paper. The BML program does not have a CAD component. There is a workaround for some things like certain changes to the neckline, but not for rotating darts. The workaround is to use the feature that allows simulating different decorative stitches on a garment. When the pattern is printed, a stitching line is marked on the pattern and we would use that stitching line as our new neckline. Hopefully that makes sense. There are some great tutorials available as well as helpful pdf documents which teach us how to edit the basic patterns to make our own designs. They can be found on the Bernina website. Look here.

    ReplyDelete