I did a little sewing over the weekend. In an effort to keep my sewing enjoyable, I made a decision to include some simple projects in my sewing queue. I made this skirt in record time - for me anyway. I could not be happier with it! The fabric is a gorgeous raspberry wool from my stash which I have been afraid to cut until recently. With all the success I have had with Bernina My Label, I finally have the confidence to work with some of the better fabrics I have collected. The only change I made to the pattern was to lengthen the skirt an inch and a half. It is described as a 22 inch knee length basic skirt, but the finished length is not based on the model's waist to knee measurement. It is 22 inches no matter what the model measures. I also added an extra inch of wearing ease from the hip down to the hem. I used one inch side seam allowances and basted the skirt together at the drafted seamlines and the fit was perfect, but I wanted a little extra room, so I stitched the side seams a quarter inch out from the basting, tapering to nothing from the waist to the hip.
For the facing, I used a really nice knit elastic which I bought from JoAnn's a few years ago. This stuff is absolutely perfect for any fabric like medium weight wool or Sophia knit. When you see it, buy the whole roll. It is gold! It gives a nice, professional finish and looks and feels great when worn. I did not line the skirt. I finished the seam allowances with hug snug rayon using a binder attachment foot. I have to say I love this finishing technique. It doesn't add bulk and it looks pretty. For the finish on the kick pleat, I used the selvage. I just cut the pattern pieces so that the edge of the kick pleat was on the selvage. My plan is working. This skirt was easy to make. The wool fabric sews like a dream. The finishing techniques weren't complicated or difficult. And most important, the pattern really fits me! I think I will continue to include quick and easy projects in my sewing plans. Happy Sewing All!!